Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dec. 19th, 2007

It's only been about 2 weeks since the announcements were made that my FACES OF THE SUN cd received a Grammy Nomination for Best New Age album. It's my 4th nomination in the last 5 years. Finding out you got nominated for a Grammy never gets "casual". It's always a big damn deal. In the music business it's pretty way up there with honor and acknowledgement of your work and, in my case, perserverence. Last week I was pretty certain that Paul Winter would win and didn't really think I had a chance, but it's starting to shift a little, and now I'm thinking, ya know, ya never know. Winning would be a major rush. And you know, Paul (Winter), I've told you so many times how much I admire your work and our talent and how much you were a part of major inspiration for me back in the late 70's and 80's and always, but . . . do you think maybe you could let me win the Grammy this year? Afterall, you've already got a few and I don't have any!

Oh well,enough of that. Really what I wanted to write here (in my first blog ever), is . . . just as the Grammy nomination is an immense honor and what an incredible amount of fun the two months between the nominations and the actual Celebration . . . what really makes me feel that my work has been worthwhile is when I'm out performing or playing somewhere and someone comes up to me and says, "I don't know what happened but you started to play and I just started to cry I felt so moved" or "My Mother was in Hospice for the last month and she played your music everday saying how she felt so comforted" or "Had cancer and your music was a major part of my healing process" and "we played your music at our wedding" , or "funeral" or "birth of our child" etc. That's what really makes my day, week, month etc. That's why I'm here. I've always thought that music belongs in places of worship, in the most intimate and sacred of experiences and places and relationships. I was never much for "happy hour" music or "party" music. So I'm so happy and thankful that my music has indeed found it's way into peoples hearts and most sacred spaces. Thanks for letting it in!!! And thanks for inviting me to the 50th Anniversary Grammy Celebration as a Nominee on Feb. 10th, 2008. How cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. Now I know more about you!

    I enjoyed your "inner" outer thoughts and Dec 19 . . . happens to be my birthday too!

    Congratulations on your Nomination and going to the Grammys!

    Sandara - Star Dancer

    ReplyDelete